Michael Ray FitzGerald, PhD, is a musician, media scholar and former university instructor from Jacksonville. He is the author of four books including the award-winning Jacksonville and the Roots of Southern Rock. He has a master’s degree in media history from University of Florida and a doctoral degree in film and television from University of Reading (UK).
He started writing music criticism in the mid-1980s for Jacksonville’s Southeast Entertainer and went on to write for more than 30 local, national and international publications including the Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television.
> Michael Ray FitzGerald Curriculum Vitae
PRESENTATIONS & SIGNINGS (2023)
- Tuesday, March 21 (5pm) - Southpoint Rotary Club (Athenian Owl Restaurant)
- Tuesday, April 11 (10am - 2pm) - San Marco Bookstore, 1971 San Marco Blvd.
- Thursday, April 20 (4-6pm) - Book Loft, 214 Centre St., Fernandina Beach
- Saturday, May 13 (1-4pm) - Book Loft, 214 Centre St., Fernandina Beach
- Thursday, June 29 (6:30pm) - Beaches Museum, 381 Beach Blvd, Jax Beach
- Tuesday, August 1 (6pm) - Willowbranch Library, 2870 Sydney St.
Fitzgerald has written for the following publications:
• Both Sides Now, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Southeast Entertainer, Jacksonville, reviewer
• The Notebook, Jacksonville, reviewer
• JAM, Orlando, stringer/columnist
• Musician’s Trade Journal, Nashua, N.H., stringer/columnist
• Folio Weekly, Jacksonville, correspondent
• The Campus Voice, Florida State College at Jacksonville, reporter/editor
• Cow Ford, Jacksonville University, creator/editor
• Lede, Jacksonville University
• The Navigator, Jacksonville University
• Jacksonville Business Quarterly, reporter/managing editor
• Jacksonville Business Journal, correspondent (150 articles)
• Orlando Business Journal, correspondent
• Atlanta Business Chronicle, correspondent
• Associated Press, Miami bureau, stringer
• Canopic Jar, Woodstock, Ill.
• Left Curve, Oakland, Calif.
• The Humanist, Washington, D.C.
• Free Inquiry, Amherst, N.Y.
• Utne Reader, Topeka, Ks.
• Merge, Adelaide, Australia
• The CommuniGator, University of Florida
• Thursday Night, Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Southern Fried, Nashville
• Howard Journal of Communication, Howard University, Philadelphia, Pa.
• Film and History, Oshkosh, Wisc.
• Southern Cultures, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
• Journal of Popular Culture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
• Film Locations: Paris, Intellect Books, Manchester, UK, contributor
• American Indian Culture and Research Journal, University of California, Los Angeles
• Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and Television, London
• Bangkok Post, Thailand
• New English Review, London
Michael Ray FitzGerald
Copyright © 2023 • All Rights Reserved
Designed By Ocean Web Design
Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.