Michael Ray FitzGerald, PhD, is a musician, media scholar and former university instructor from Jacksonville. He is the author of four books including the award-winning Jacksonville and the Roots of Southern Rock. He has a master’s degree in media history from University of Florida and a doctoral degree in film and television from University of Reading (UK).
He started writing music criticism in the mid-1980s for Jacksonville’s Southeast Entertainer and went on to write for more than 30 local, national and international publications including the Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television.
Fitzgerald has written for the following publications:
• Both Sides Now, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Southeast Entertainer, Jacksonville, reviewer
• The Notebook, Jacksonville, reviewer
• JAM, Orlando, stringer/columnist
• Musician’s Trade Journal, Nashua, N.H., stringer/columnist
• Folio Weekly, Jacksonville, correspondent
• The Campus Voice, Florida State College at Jacksonville, reporter/editor
• Cow Ford, Jacksonville University, creator/editor
• Lede, Jacksonville University
• The Navigator, Jacksonville University
• Jacksonville Business Quarterly, reporter/managing editor
• Jacksonville Business Journal, correspondent (150 articles)
• Orlando Business Journal, correspondent
• Atlanta Business Chronicle, correspondent
• Associated Press, Miami bureau, stringer
• Canopic Jar, Woodstock, Ill.
• Left Curve, Oakland, Calif.
• The Humanist, Washington, D.C.
• Free Inquiry, Amherst, N.Y.
• Utne Reader, Topeka, Ks.
• Merge, Adelaide, Australia
• The CommuniGator, University of Florida
• Thursday Night, Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Southern Fried, Nashville
• Howard Journal of Communication, Howard University, Philadelphia, Pa.
• Film and History, Oshkosh, Wisc.
• Southern Cultures, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
• Journal of Popular Culture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
• Film Locations: Paris, Intellect Books, Manchester, UK, contributor
• American Indian Culture and Research Journal, University of California, Los Angeles
• Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and Television, London
• Bangkok Post, Thailand
• New English Review, London
Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.