Michael Ray FitzGerald is a freelance writer and member of Society of Professional Journalists. He has written hundreds of articles for local, regional, national and international publications, including several scholarly journals as well as three books.
FitzGerald has a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Jacksonville University, a master’s in mass communication from University of Florida, where he also taught journalism, and a doctorate from University of Reading in Berkshire, England. His primary research area is media history, specializing in film and television. He teaches communication at Flagler College and University of North Florida.
He plays music in his spare time.
FitzGerald has written for the following publications:
• Both Sides Now, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Southeast Entertainer, Jacksonville, reviewer
• The Notebook, Jacksonville, reviewer
• JAM, Orlando, stringer/columnist
• Musician’s Trade Journal, Nashua, N.H., stringer/columnist
• Folio Weekly, Jacksonville, correspondent
• The Campus Voice, Florida State College at Jacksonville, reporter/editor
• Cow Ford, Jacksonville University, creator/editor
• Lede, Jacksonville University
• The Navigator, Jacksonville University
• Jacksonville Business Quarterly, reporter/managing editor
• Jacksonville Business Journal, correspondent (150 articles)
• Orlando Business Journal, correspondent
• Atlanta Business Chronicle, correspondent
• Associated Press, Miami bureau, stringer
• Canopic Jar, Woodstock, Ill.
• Left Curve, Oakland, Calif.
• The Humanist, Washington, D.C.
• Free Inquiry, Amherst, N.Y.
• Utne Reader, Topeka, Ks.
• Merge, Adelaide, Australia
• The CommuniGator, University of Florida
• Thursday Night, Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Southern Fried, Nashville
• Howard Journal of Communication, Howard University, Philadelphia, Pa.
• Film and History, Oshkosh, Wisc.
• Southern Cultures, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
• Journal of Popular Culture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
• Film Locations: Paris, Intellect Books, Manchester, UK, contributor
• American Indian Culture and Research Journal, University of California, Los Angeles
• Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and Television, London
and is author of these books:
Native Americans on Network TV, Rowman & Littlefield, 2014
Mixed Metaphors, Paradiddle Press/Lulu.com, 2013
Sitcoms and Suburbia, Greenwood Press, forthcoming
Mixed Metaphors is available from Lulu.com.