Michael Ray FitzGerald is a freelance writer and media historian. He has written hundreds of articles for local, regional, national and international publications.
FitzGerald, a former career musician, has a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Jacksonville University, a master’s in mass communication from University of Florida, where he also taught journalism, and a doctorate from University of Reading in Berkshire, England. He also taught at University of North Florida, Flagler College and College of Coastal Georgia.
He is the author of the following books:
• Jacksonville and the Roots of Southern Rock (University Press of Florida, 2019). https://www.amazon.com/Jacksonville-Roots-Southern-Michael-FitzGerald/dp/0813066654/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12TK666DAT8BS&dchild=1&keywords=jacksonville+and+the+roots+of+southern+rock&qid=1603909372&sprefix=jacksonville+and+the+roots%2Caudible%2C185&sr=8-1
• Swamp Music: Gator Country’s Musical Legacy (Hidden Owl, 2018). https://www.amazon.com/Swamp-Music-Country-Musical-Legacy/dp/0996237119/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1T33ZKI5MAZ9Q&dchild=1&keywords=swamp+music&qid=1603908107&sprefix=swamp+music%2Cstripbooks%2C178&sr=8-1
• Native Americans on Network TV (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014). https://www.amazon.com/Native-Americans-Network-TV-Stereotypes-ebook/dp/B00HKI1K54/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=native+americans+on+network+tv&qid=1603908316&sr=8-1
• Mixed Metaphors (Paradiddle Press/Lulu.com, 2013). http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/michael-ray-fitzgerald/mixed-metaphors/paperback/product-20671669.html
FitzGerald has also written for the following publications:
• Both Sides Now, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Southeast Entertainer, Jacksonville, reviewer
• The Notebook, Jacksonville, reviewer
• JAM, Orlando, stringer/columnist
• Musician’s Trade Journal, Nashua, N.H., stringer/columnist
• Folio Weekly, Jacksonville, correspondent
• The Campus Voice, Florida State College at Jacksonville, reporter/editor
• Cow Ford, Jacksonville University, creator/editor
• Lede, Jacksonville University
• The Navigator, Jacksonville University
• Jacksonville Business Quarterly, reporter/managing editor
• Jacksonville Business Journal, correspondent (150 articles)
• Orlando Business Journal, correspondent
• Atlanta Business Chronicle, correspondent
• Associated Press, Miami bureau, stringer
• Canopic Jar, Woodstock, Ill.
• Left Curve, Oakland, Calif.
• The Humanist, Washington, D.C.
• Free Inquiry, Amherst, N.Y.
• Utne Reader, Topeka, Ks.
• Merge, Adelaide, Australia
• The CommuniGator, University of Florida
• Thursday Night, Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Southern Fried, Nashville
• Howard Journal of Communication, Howard University, Philadelphia, Pa.
• Film and History, Oshkosh, Wisc.
• Southern Cultures, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
• Journal of Popular Culture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
• Film Locations: Paris, Intellect Books, Manchester, UK, contributor
• American Indian Culture and Research Journal, University of California, Los Angeles
• Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and Television, London
• Bangkok Post, Bangkok, Thailand